University of Split





After processing you application, you will be issued an official Letter of Acceptance. This document will be needed for regulation of your visa or residence permit.


You will not need a visa for travelling within the EU if you are a citizen of an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

Nationals of countries subject to the visa requirement also need to procure an entry visa for Croatia (Visa C). Information on countries subject to the visa requirement can be found on the web site of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. The visa application (Viza C) must be submitted to the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in the students home country. A list of missions and consulates is available on web site of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration.

EU/EEA citizens can enter Croatia with just a valid ID card (or passport) and then need to register at the Central police station if staying for more than 3 months to regulate the residence permit


According to the national legislation, foreign nationals intending to study in Croatia must regulate their residence.

The first step that you have to take is to get an OIB number. It is needed for students entitled to a student X-card and to non-EU students residing in Croatia for more than 90 days with the purpose of obligatory health insurance with Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO) regulation.

In order to provide you with an OIB number, please fulfill the application* and send it to: Please send it together with a scan/copy of your valid travel document, for inspection)


General health care services can be accessed by selecting a primary health care physician, whereas health care on other levels (e.g. hospital, specialist examinations) can be accessed by way of a reference document (uputnica) issued by the selected physician.

The student medical center is situated in street Šibenska 3, T.: 021/560-689.

Emergency service centers:

  • Dental care: Doverska 2, ground floor, tel.: 021/460-977, Sunday and holidays 24 hours
  • General medicine: Doverska 2, ground floor, tel.: 021/468-012, Sunday and holidays from 8 to 15 and after that at Emergency service clinic at Central hospital in street Spinčićeva 1, tel.: 021/389-522.

In urgent cases, the emergency service phone number is 194.

Information about Pharmacy (ljekarna) is provided under section Practical information/sub-section Services working hours.

Additional information regarding health insurance:

1. EU students

Health care services are accessed with a valid European Health Insurance card.

2. non-Eu students

Non Eu-students must be fully insured against illness, accidents, death and civil liability for the whole duration of the stay in Croatia. Regulated health insurance is the prerequisite for being granted temporary residence permit.

  • Countries with health care agreements with Croatia

The issue of health care for foreign non EU-nationals during their stay in Croatia through the signed agreements on social security is regulated with some countries. Students should contact their public health insurance provider prior arrival in Croatia in order to check if there is an agreement on social security signed with Croatia. If yes, students will obtain the certificate which enables them to receive health care in Croatia. Upon arrival in Split, student should replace the certificate of healthcare entitlements with the patient’s certificate (in Croatian: bolesnički list) at the Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO - Hrvatski zavod za zdravstveno osiguranje), street Obala kneza Branimira 14, office hours: Monday-Friday from 08.00 to 15.30. On presentation of the patient’s certificate, student may obtain healthcare services from any doctor or health institution who has a contract with the HZZO within the scope established by bilateral agreement, but are required to pay participation fee if that is foreseen for Croatian insurees.

  • Countries without health care agreements with Croatia

Students from countries which do not have social security agreements with Croatia (or if students are unable to obtain the document foreseen by the social security agreement) are obliged to become insured with the Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO). Steps are:
- upon arrival in Split present all necessary documents to the Central Police Station and get the OIB number;
- with OIB number go to HZZO office in street Obala kneza Branimira 14 with office hours: Monday-Friday from 08.00 to 15.30. who will register the student in temporary evidence and issue relevant confirmation which entitles student and binds the HZZO to medical insurance after the residence regulation;
- with the HZZO temporary confirmation, student returns to Central Police Station where the temporary residence permit is issued;
- after bringing a copy of the residence confirmation to the HZZO, the HZZO issues a document based on which the student attains the right to full health care within the network of physicians and health institutions of the HZZO (necessary documents: a copy of the first page of the passport, a copy of the passport page with visa and a copy of the residence confirmation);
- the monthly health insurance cost is approximately 400 HRK per month (around 55 €uro), for which the appropriate Tax Department of the Ministry of Finances sends money orders to the students’ registered place of residence in Croatia.





A residence permit is the prerequisite for issuing a transcript of records and letter of confirmation of the international students study period.

There are 2 types of residence permit, up to and more than 90 days. All students, except those with accommodation in student residence up to 90 days (regulated directly by the student residence), must report their stay in Croatia to the Central Police Station within 72 hours upon entering Croatia. Address: Trg hrvatske bratske zajednice 9. Office hours: Monday-Friday, from 8.30 to 15.30 (summer time 14.30).

The following documents must be presented with the application for temporary residence for the purpose of studying:

  1. application form
  2. one colour photograph 35x45 mm;
  3. administrative fee in the amount of 20 HRK (can be bought at all newsstands);
  4. valid passport and copy of the first page with the photograph;

The fee for temporary residence permit is 240 HRK. International students receiving a grant from the Croatian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports are exempted from this fee. The temporary residence permit is usually granted for the duration of one year or for the duration of the academic year. Temporary residence authorisation is entered into the passport in the form of an adhesive label.

Students staying more than 90 days, upon arrival in Croatia apply for a short-term stay. After 89 days (at latest) of the short-term stay permit, all above listed documents for temporary residence application are to be presented at the police office. Students are strongly recommended to get all relevant original documents prior to arrival in Croatia. At the moment of application for a temporary residence, all documents should not be older than 6 months.
All original documents requested for temporary residence application must be officially translated into Croatian language. Approximate price of one sheet is around 20 €uro.
All students, no matter the duration of staying in Croatia, must check with the local Croatian diplomatic mission:
the obligatory validity of passport (in months) to be longer than the actual stay in Croatia,
whether the need for an “apostille” of all original documents and certified translations exist.




The Croatian Currency is the KUNA, which is divided into 100 lipas. When listed as a price, the kuna is abbreviated to kn or HRK.

Currently, the exchange rate is:



To see the current rate, check this link:

Foreign currency can be exchanged in banks, currency exchange offices, post offices or at some hotels’ reception desks. We advise foreign visitors to change large amounts at a time to avoid high service charges. The exchange rate is usually more favorable and the service faster in the currency exchange offices. Most of them are open from 8 am to 6 pm on workdays, but those located at the train and bus station should work 24 hours a day.


Major credit cards like American Express, Diners Club, Mastercard/Eurocard and Visa are widely accepted across the country in shops, hotels and restaurants, but it is advised to check at every point of purchase whether credits cards are accepted. Credit cards can also be used to withdraw cash from many ATMs across the larger cities.


The cost of living can vary greatly depending on your lifestyle, budget and spending habits. In particular, if you take full advantage of the available cultural and social opportunities and travel a lot, expenses will be higher.


These estimates shown below are only a very general guide:


Food costs will vary depending on taste and dietary needs, but will account for a significant part of your budget.

FOOD 1000,00 kn/month (cca 135,00 eur)
Rented room and utilities 1500,00 kn/month (cca 200,00 eur)
Transportation 150,00 kn/month (cca 20,00 eur)
Miscellaneous 800,00 kn (cca 107,00 eur)
Books 400,00 kn (cca 54 eur)
TOTAL 3.450,00 kn (cca 530eur)

Rented rooms and utilities

Daily menu in average price restaurant 80,00 kn ( cca 11,00 eur)
Meal in fastfood restaurant 34,00 kn ( cca 4,5 eur)
Meal in student mensa (subsidized meals) 7,00 kn for daily menu (0,9 eur)
1 liter of milk 6,00 kn (0,8 eur)
12 eggs 16,00 kn (2,13 eur)
1 kg of apples 8,00 kn (1,06 eur)
1 bottle of red table wine 56,00 kn (7,5 eur)
2 liters of Coca-Cola 14,00 kn (1,9 eur)
Bread for two people for one day 7,00 kn (0,9 eur)

In Split, there are two dormitories:

a) Student dormitory Hostel Spinut

It is a newly furnished student dorm categorized with 3 stars***. Hostel has 4 kitchenettes, TV room, study room, IT room, coffee bar/patisserie, restaurant, summer terrace and everyday 24-hour reception desk.

Dormitory is under video surveillance and secured overnight by security service. Being located in the very heart of the Marjan Hill it is surrounded by parks and forest park. There is possibility to use City Express currier service from the dorm. During the summer rooms are for rent.

Dorm’s Restaurant is designed according to the best standards and students are offered highest quality food and service.

Every other weekend students will use services of the Student restaurant at the Faculty of Civil Engineering, Architecture and Geodesy.

Erasmus students are accommodated in double rooms.

b) Student dormitory Campus

The brand new student dorm at the University Campus (opened in Spring 2013) offers 10 places for Erasmus students. The dorm is in the vicinity of the following faculties: Faculty of Economics, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Architecture and Geodesy, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture. Erasmus students are accommodated in double rooms.

If you want to spend your mobility in private accommodation, here is a useful link:


There is only one way of public transportation in Split – buses. They operate all day, every 15 or 20 minutes. Tickets can be bought on board (11,00 kn) or at the ticket box-office (9,00 kn). Once you board you must stamp your ticket. An unstamped ticket is as good as no ticket at all.

As an Erasmus student, you have the right to monthly student bus pass costs 130 kn (cca 15€). For more information you can visit

Another way to get around is by taxi, which is a bit more expensive. A 10 minute drive might rise up to 200 Kuna (about 30€).

Split offers marine transportation to nearby islands and international lines to Italy and international train and bus lines are also available, and the main stations are situated practically in the same place. Therefore, as Split’s bus, train and ferry main stations are placed near one another, trip planning and ticket buying is very accessible. Split’s airport is situated outside of the city, in Resnik. It offers many national and international fights.

Other useful information:

Student dorm Campus 1100,00 kn (cca 150,00 eur)
Student dorm Spinut 850,00 kn ( cca 112,00 eur)
Rental apartment From cca 250,00 eur to 300,00 eur
Hostel cca 100, 00 kn/night (cca 15 eur)
Hotel (three star hotel) Cca 450 kn/night (60 eur)
Croatian country code 385
Split city code 021
Croatian exit code 00
Police 92
Fire brigade 93
Ambulance 94
Emergency Call Service 112


Working hours:
Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturdays: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Sundays and holidays: Pharmacies on duty 24 hours and groceries at bus/railway stations from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.


Pharmacies are all over the city centre, and you can easily locate them by their green cross.

Drinking Water

Water is drinkable and of a high quality in the public water supply system throughout the country.


Voltage 220 V, frequency 50 Hz